In preparation for the teacher breakfast, we worked with eggs in the across a few lessons, learning how to make poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. Using the knowledge we gained, we made eggs benedict. Below is the procedure.
- Prepare materials
- Set water to boil.
- Put oil on plastic wrap, placing it in a small bowl.
4. Crack the shell of the egg
5. Place egg on wrap.
6.Tightly tie the wrap, placing it in a pot of boiling water.
The result was unsatisfactory, when the egg was taken out for a slight check, the egg white was clearly still not cooked enough because we could see the transparent egg white but due to disagreement within the group, it was taken out and as expected, the egg white was still runny and it was apparent that it should have been cooked longer. However, hopefully, this gained knowledge leads to the making of a better poached egg next time.
Next is the procedure for hollandaise sauce.
1 . Prepare ingredients; lemon juice, butter, egg yolk, and black pepper.
2. Melt butter using the microwave.
3. Add lemon juice and egg yolk.
4. Using the system of a double boiler, heat up the sauce until it becomes a more creamy texture.
5. Sandwich poached egg and fried bacon (optional) with two pieces of english muffins and drizzle hollandaise sauce on top.
The overall produce was rather successful; I personally did not like the hollandaise sauce but it tasted good. The poached egg could have been better but how cooked the egg is sometimes depends on people’s preference and thus it is important to be flexible. We had to make sure that we were paying attention because a lot of changes happen in a short period of time when dealing with heat, especially because if overcooked, it would become clumpy like scrambled eggs.